FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) – ABC21 has been recognized with new honors from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and the Society of Professional Journalists.
The station on Saturday received its fifth Emmy Award in the past three years when winners were announced by the Lower Great Lakes chapter, which comprises stations from eight broadcast markets in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
The award was in the category of Children-Youth-Teen programming for a 2020 broadcast and digital project featuring Chief Meteorologist Matt Leach.
Producers Daniel Beals and Chris Brown, photographer and ABC21 Managing Editor Ian Hoover and station News Director Jonathan Shelley were recipients, along with Leach.
On Monday, the Indy Pro chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists (representing print, digital and broadcast journalists across Indiana) presented ABC21 with seven total “Best in Indiana” awards, including first place honors for “Best Newscast,” “Continuing Coverage” and “Breaking News Coverage.”
- Best Newscast – ABC21 News at 6 (Daniel Beals, Krista Miller, Brien McElhatten, Jeremiah Schneider)
- Breaking News Coverage – Protesters and Police Clash, ABC21 (Ian Hoover, Krista Miller, Brien McElhatten, Jeremiah Schneider)
- Continuing Coverage – Digging Deeper: COVID-19 Secrets, ABC21 (Brien McElhatten, Kaitlyn Kendall, Danial Beals, Ian Hoover)
- Feature Story – A Boy’s Dream House, ABC21 (Krista Miller, Daniel Beals)
- General News or Sports Videography – TinCaps Grounds Crew, ABC21 (Zach Groth)
- Best Online Multimedia – Make It Your Own Mural Fest, WPTA21.com (Kayla Crandall)
- Best Use of Social Media – Protesters and Police Clash in Fort Wayne, WPTA21.com (Kayla Crandall, Karli Van Cleave, Arielle Cadet, Tony Betton Jr.)
Earlier this year, ABC21 received three Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards. Those entries have advanced to the National Edward R. Murrow Awards competition.