Updated July 21, 2020
Table of Contents
The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), as amended, requires certain disclosures and gives certain rights to California residents regarding their personal data. The CCPA applies only to California residents. Under CCPA, California residents have the right to know the categories of personal data and specific types of personal data we collect about you, the right to request deletion of your personal data, and the right to opt out of the sale of your personal data. More information on these rights and how California residents may exercise them is provided below under the headings “Additional California User Rights and Choices” and “Additional California User Contacts.” QMI provides notices to all users but applies the CCPA rights to know, to delete, and to opt out of sales to California residents only.
Data We Collect
We collect the following categories of personal data.
Categories of Personal Information
Identifiers, such as name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, device identifiers, IP address, email address, account name, social media username, or other similar identifiers
Demographic data protected under state or federal law, such as age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran or military status
Commercial information, such as records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
Internet or other electronic network activity, such as browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement
Geolocation data, such as physical location or movements
Professional or employment-related information, such as current or past job history
Education information, such as information about schools attended, degrees and certifications obtained, date of birth
Inferences drawn from other information, such as any profile created about a consumer that reflects likely preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, or aptitude
With Whom We May Share or Sell Categories of Personal Information
For all the above categories, we may share with or sell to service providers, affiliates, business partners, marketing and advertising service providers or partners, government authorities or as required by law, merger or acquisition party, to parties as requested by you.
With respect to the identifier category: Social security number, when collected, is only shared with tax regulators.
Sources of Personal Data
QMI and certain third-party providers of tools utilized in the Services collect personal data from various sources, including:
- From Cookies and Tracking Technologies: When you use the Services, we or our third-party providers may automatically collect personal data from you through tracking and similar technologies that tells us which pages were visited and by how many users, the order in which pages were visited, and which hyperlinks were "clicked." Collecting this data may involve the collection of IP addresses, device IDs, and other online identifiers, operating system and browser software used by each user. Although such information is not personally identifiable, we or our third-party providers can identify the city and country in which a user is based, and we may be able to determine additional geographic location data.
The data we collect automatically from you helps us diagnose problems with our server, administer the Services, identify the most popular areas or features of the Services, identify where our users are coming from and determine the effectiveness of our promotional activities.
Log Data: When you access the Services, our servers automatically record data that your browser or mobile device sends whenever you visit the Web site or our mobile applications. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP address, device ID, geolocation, browser type, browser language, your computer operating system, email patterns, your mobile device and mobile operating system, the name of your internet service provider or your mobile carrier, the date and time of your request, and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
Geolocation Data: QMI may collect data about your geolocation when you access any of our mobile applications. If you do not enable the service to use your geolocation data or if the app does not have that feature, we will not collect or store your geolocation data.
- Directly From You: QMI and certain third-party providers of tools utilized in the Services collect personally identifiable information through voluntary submissions you make via the Services.
- Certain features of the Services and third-party tools utilized in the Services, such as inquiries submitted through our “contact us” page and careers or job pages, requests for information from us and registration, may require that you provide personally identifiable information (including, for example, mailing address, zip code, gender, age, date of birth, income, phone number and e-mail address). We and our third-party provider may have access to this data.
- When registering to set up an account or to use certain aspects of the Services such as e-mail, chat or messenger features, and forums, or to receive certain alerts, newsletters or specifically targeted information, we or our third-party provider do require that you provide a valid e-mail address, date of birth and zip code. Additional personally identifiable information may also be voluntarily provided by you. We and our third-party provider will have access to this data.
- From Third Parties: We work with third-party service providers in connection with our Services. Such third-party services may include payment partners, website hosting, marketing, website usage analytics, and monitoring and maintaining the Services. In working with our service providers we may share your personal data with them and receive data back from them so that we may provide the Services to you.
How We Use Data
QMI uses the data we collect from you for the following business purposes:
- To evaluate your employment inquiry or application.
- In the event we offer account features, we may use data collected from you to identify you when you sign in to your account and to create and maintain your account and profile.
- To respond to your questions or inquiries.
- E-mail address, social media username, or other contact information to deliver newsletters, alerts and other information requested by you. QMI limits our own e-mail contact and solicitations to those customers who have "opted in" to receiving such communications. The solicitations are limited in that they, among other things, will clearly indicate the originator of the e-mail and provide the customer with a method of "opting out" of receiving future communications of a similar nature.
- To "pre-populate" forms, which are displayed for the purpose of collecting individual data by us and/or our sponsors.
How We Share and Disclose Personal Data
QMI may share or disclose your personal data to the following parties and under the following circumstances. Please also review the chart above related to categories of third parties.
- During the registration process or during other interactions with the Services, you may choose to "opt in" to receiving promotional materials from us and/or our affiliates. If you "opt in" to receiving such promotional materials, QMI reserves the right to release any personally identifiable registration information regarding you to third parties who provide goods or services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you decide that you would like to discontinue receiving promotional information from such third parties, please contact those third parties directly, or contact us at email@example.com.
- Your personal information provided through the Services may also be an asset of QMI’s business transferred to a third party in the event of a sale, merger or other business combination involving QMI.
- We may also share your personal data (a) to comply with a law, regulation, or other governmental request, for example, to comply with subpoenas, court orders, legal process, or requests by law enforcement or governmental entities, (b) to investigate or defend against third-party claims against QMI, (c) to detect, prevent, or investigate fraud or other illegal activity or to enforce the Terms, (d) to respond to a request by you to disclose the information, (e) with your knowledge and consent, and (f) to address emergencies or acts of god.
- QMI may share your personal information with third parties that perform services on QMI’s behalf (including cloud, web and/or server hosting services and providers of third-party tools used in the Services); QMI does not authorize such third parties to use your personal information except as necessary to provide services to QMI or for purposes authorized by QMI.
Your Rights and Choices
If you wish to correct, update, amend, or delete/remove personal information that is provided through the Services, you may contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. QMI will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request. California residents should also review the additional rights and choices under “Additional California User Rights and Choices” section below.
In addition to the rights discussed above, there are various other ways you can choose to access, update, or limit the personal data you provide to us.
- Mobile Application Users. You may also choose to uninstall our Application from your mobile device regardless of whether you are an account holder or not.
- Unsubscribe from Emails.You may opt-out of receiving emails or job alerts from us by following the “unsubscribe” instructions included in certain emails we send you.
- Google Analytics. We use the Google Analytics service to gather and provide us with statistical data about how our Web site is used. This Google service uses a cookie that can be recognized by Google when you visit other websites. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt out of Google Analytics' collection and use of data generated by your use of the Services by going to http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Additional California User Rights and Choices
California residents only have the following additional rights and choices under the CCPA:
Right to Know. You have the right to know the personal data we have about you. When you request that we provide you with the data we collect or disclose we will provide you with an individualized response about our collection and use of your personal data over the past 12 months. That response will include:
- Specific pieces of personal data we have collected about you
- The categories of personal data we have collected (see chart above)
- The sources from which we have collected your personal data
- If we sell personal information, our business purpose for collecting or selling personal data
- The categories of third parties to whom we have disclosed or sold personal data
- Whether we have disclosed or sold your personal data for a business purpose.
You may only exercise this right twice within a 12-month period.
Right to Request Deletion. You have the right to request deletion of personal data we have about you. When you request that we delete your personal data, we will delete personal data we maintain about you from our records as of the date of your request subject to certain limitations. We will also request that any service providers that we know maintain your data on our behalf also delete your personal data. In some cases, deletion may be accomplished through de-identification of the information.
Please note that certain information may be excepted from your deletion request. For example, we may keep your information where necessary to detect and resolve issues related to system security and fraud detection.
Exercising Your Right to Know or Right to Request Deletion. To exercise the right to know and request deletion described above please initiate a verifiable consumer request through the web portal link provided below or by calling toll free 844-957-1731. You may also contact us via email at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about your right to know or deletion described above, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We cannot respond to your right to know or deletion if we cannot verify your identity or the authority of your agent to make the request and confirm that the personal data we maintain that relates to you. When you make a request, we will verify your identity by matching two or three data points that you provide with data points that we maintain and have determined to be reliable for the purposes of verification (e.g., telephone number and email address).
You must also describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it. If we have questions regarding your request you must make an effort to respond to our inquiries. If we do not understand your request we may not be able to comply.
Response Timing and Format. Where possible, we will respond to a verified right to know or delete request within 45 days of receipt. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and the need for an extension.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verified consumer request's receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal data that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information to another entity.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Right to Opt-Out of Sale of Personal Information. QMI does not sell personal data collected through the Services.
Authorized Agents. You may designate an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf. We will require verification that you did in fact give that person your authorization. Unless the law requires otherwise, your authorized agent must provide contact details for you. We will contact you to confirm that you authorized the agent to act on your behalf. Once you confirm, we will promptly respond to the rights request.
Non-Discrimination.We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of the rights listed in this section. Specifically, we will not:
- Deny you Services, except to the extent that not having personal data prevents us from providing any aspect of the Services.
- Provide you a different level or quality of Services, except to the extent that not having personal data limits our ability to provide any aspect of the Services.
- Charge or suggest that we will charge you different prices or rates for the Services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
Storage and Security
We use standard physical, technical and administrative measures designed to reduce the risk of loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or modification of your personal data. These security measures include Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology data transmission. However, no method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure. As a result, although we strive to protect the personal data we collect about you, we cannot guarantee the security of any information we collect through the Services. If you have reason to believe that your personal data is no longer secure, please notify us immediately by contacting us at email@example.com.
QMI will retain your personal information collected through the Services for as long as QMI deems reasonably necessary or desirable, unless you make a verifiable request to delete your personal data or unless a different retention period is required by any applicable law, rule, or regulation. QMI reserves the right to delete or destroy data collected through the Services at any time.
No children under 13: The Services are not directed at or intended for use by children under 13 years old. You may be required to provide a date of birth to register for certain functionality of the Services (for example, e-mail job listings or alerts). You are not permitted to register or use the Services if you are under 13. Please review our Terms for additional information.
No Children Under 16: QMI has no actual knowledge that we collect the personal data of minors under 16 years of age. If you have reason to believe that a child under 16 years old has provided personal data to us through the Services without the appropriate consent, please contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below with sufficient detail to enable us to delete that information from our records. We will act promptly on your request to delete such information.
Users outside the United States: The Services are not directed at or intended for users outside the U.S. Please be advised that if you are located in the European Union or another region with laws related to data collection, use and transfer that may differ from U.S. law, your personal information submitted through the Services and transferred to the U.S. may not have the same legal data protection as in your jurisdiction. Please review our Terms for additional information.
“Do Not Track” Signals: “Do Not Track” is a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. Please note that our Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals or similar mechanisms transmitted by web browsers.
Changes to your personal data: If you wish to correct, update, or amend personal data that is provided through the Services, you may contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. QMI will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request.
Third parties and links: The Services may contain links to other Internet web sites and services, including co-branded or other affiliated or unaffiliated sites that may or may not be owned or operated by QMI. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, QMI is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites or services, including their use of any information collected when users or visitors to the Services click through links to those sites. Even though such information might not identify you personally, QMI strongly encourages you to become familiar with the privacy practices of those sites and services. QMI encourages users to be aware when they leave this Web site or our Services.
QMI cannot and does not assume any responsibility for any actions or omissions of third parties, including the manner in which they use information received either from us or independently. Nevertheless, in the event you encounter any third party associated with, or who claims association with, us who you feel is improperly collecting or using information about you, please contact email@example.com; QMI will make reasonable efforts to forward your message to the third party.
For general inquiries, concerns or questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional California User Contacts
California users only who want to exercise their rights under the CCPA may use these instructions and contacts:
To submit a request to know the personal data we have collected about you, click here, call us toll free at 844-957-1731, or write to us at:
Quincy Media, Inc.
Attn: Data Privacy
130 S 5th Street
Quincy, IL 62301
To submit a request to delete the personal data we have collected about you, click here, call us toll free at 844-957-1731, or write to us at:
Quincy Media, Inc.
Attn: Data Privacy
130 S 5th Street
Quincy, IL 62301To access our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” page, click here. You may also make an opt-out request by emailing email@example.com.